Monday, March 2, 2009

Oak-Leaf Hydrangea seed collecting


I thought I would follow my last post with another about this wonderful plant. I have never collected seed for this plant before this year. After reading what I could on the internet from native plant sources and Michael Dirr I proceeded with a plan. The picture is of a dried Oakleaf Hydrangea bloom head and the specks are the seed. I have been catching them in paper bags as the capsules on the bloom head releases them. I will keep you informed to their progress when I sow them. Everyone pray for no wind on that day OK! They are not to be covered when sown just watered in. Hopefully a couple of weeks later they will emerge.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun project, it might take a while to get a big enough plant to produce flowers, but the satisfaction once doing so will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am interested to see the results of your first try with these seeds. I may even have to try it myself if they germinate for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. Do let us know how the seeds work out. Oakleaf Hydrangea is my favorite shrub. They are difficult to grow in NW MO. (If they attain any size they may not bloom.) But finally I've got a good-sized one that puts on a gorgeous show of blooms every season. I tucked it against the inside corner of the far south eastern side of my house. It is a happy shrub.
    Love your blog, Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great shrub emerges from those little dust things? Awesome. Can't wait to hear how it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tthey have done very well RK I am potting them into 3 gallon size containers. I will do a post on them again to catch up when they leaf out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did they survive or thrive? I just got some seeds off ebay and I was glad to see your picture. I thought mine might just be dust! But they look just like your photo. I'm wondering how yours are doing now?

    Texan

    ReplyDelete
  7. They did very well, tge young ones once germinated need to be watered from the bottom, overhead watering can lead to fungus and nothing will stoo it but first two orvthree flats of seedlings did well. Many have been sold as 3 gallon size and have been sold. I now propagate by cuttings on them mostly but the seedlings helped me get many going quick

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks fοr your peгsonal mаrνelous posting!

    Ι certainly enjoyеd rеadіng it, уοu hаρpen to be а gгeat author.I will be
    sure to booκmark youг blog and will oftеn
    come back in the foreseeable future. I want to enсourage уourself to continue your great
    work, havе a noce holiday weekend!

    My webpagе - important natural ingredients

    ReplyDelete